The Mircea was built in 1938 in shipyard of Blohm & Voss in Hamburg, Germany for the Romanian Navy. She was named for the 14th century Romanian hero, Prince Mircea, who liberated the Black Sea coastline from the Turks establishing Romania's maritime heritage. Five identical ships were built by the shipyard including the Tovarisch (Ukraine), the Sagres (Portugal), the Mircea (Romania), the Gorch Fock II (Germany), and Eagle (USA). All were built by the Blohm & Voss shipyeard in the 1930's except the Gorch Fock II which was built in 1958 to the same design.
Click on Photo
to Enlarge